One of the MAJOR areas for the church I lead that I most want to see revived is…Evangelism! Do I believe there is hope for this to be accomplished? YES! I believe with all my heart that God has called the church to make a Gospel Impact in our City, Nation, and the World. For the year 2017, the theme of our church will be Centered on God’s Word | Sent Into God’s World. It is my prayer to lead my church to be centered on the redemptive story that we read throughout the entire Bible, and then be sent out by God to reach the world with the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I know there is no magic formula, or a one-size fits all way to accomplish this. However, here are five ways that I will strive to implement at my church in hopes to revive evangelism.
- Lead My Church To Pray. Acts 2:42, 47 says 42 And they devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and the prayers. 47 praising God and having favor with all the people. And the Lord added to their number day by day those who were being saved.
We will be intentional in praying for people who are far from God, and pray for the Gospel to be sent and shared to those who are far from God. We must begin, and continue praying for a revival of evangelism!
- Make Evangelism A Pastoral Priority. If I believe God has called His church to make a Gospel Impact through evangelism, then I as the pastor, must make this one of my priorities in ministry. A pastor who serves in full-time ministry is extremely busy, but we must make evangelism a pastoral priority. I cannot ask the church I serve to do something I am not already doing.
- Train, Equip, And Send People Out To Evangelize. Providing a teaching and equipping setting on evangelism is crucial. But within this teaching and equipping time, there must be the goal to send. Once you teach and equip, do so with the intent of sending people in groups to live out what they’ve learned.
- Celebrate The Wins. If one person from your church goes out and shares the Gospel…CELEBRATE IT! Every time we celebrate evangelism, I truly believe this encourages more people to become more evangelistic. Tell each and every story of life change in people often, and tell it through multiple ways of communication.
- PRESS ON! This cannot be a one-and-done event or even a seasonal sermon series. In order to revive evangelism in your church, this must be an ongoing heart-beat in the life of your church. Pastor…Don’t Stop! Keep at it! PRESS ON!
Join me as I pray for my church and the churches around mine, that we might press these five ways into the life of our church to revive evangelism once again!