Joe Carter, Communications Specialist at The SBC Ethics & Religious Liberty Commission, explains what we as Christians should know about the alt-right:
“Earlier today, the Southern Baptist Convention adopted a resolution condemning the movement known as the “alt-right.”
The language of the resolution reads, in part,
WHEREAS, Racism and white supremacy are, sadly, not extinct but present all over the world in various white supremacist movements, sometimes known as “white nationalism” or “alt-right”; now, therefore, be it RESOLVED, That the messengers to the Southern Baptist Convention, meeting in Phoenix, Arizona, June 13–14, 2017, decry every form of racism, including alt-right white supremacy, as antithetical to the Gospel of Jesus Christ; …
Read the full article here.
Some encouraging words from Jonathan Leeman, 9Marks Editorial Director, on the importance of corporate singing:
“At my church’s Sunday gathering, the preacher and everyone leading the service sits on the stage facing the congregation.
In the past, I’ve been tempted to wonder if they’re really worshipping, or just looking around. Doesn’t someone who is really worshipping close his eyes, put up his hands, and wear an expression of rapture?
At least that’s what I wondered until it was me sitting on stage, looking at the congregation. When the singing begins, I’m beholding God’s people praise God. And it’s unbelievable! …
Read the full article here.
Happy Friday Shady Oaks,
I’ve got a lot on my mind right now, and I have to type it out!
WOW! What a whirlwind of a summer! We brought Lottie home on June 17th and I thought this would be a good time to update everyone on how things are going! Here are the highlights.
- Lottie is full of energy, joy, laughter, and many other emotions!
- Our family is bonding with her and this is a beautiful thing.
- Lottie is smart and she’s a thinker.
- She loves to try new foods, but when she doesn’t like something, she will tell us!
- We have experienced a lot of tears, sleepless nights, and loud melt-downs.
- Our family schedule has changed drastically…we’ve had to slow down.
- She’s a good sleeper, and loves to take baths.
- We are slowly introducing her to family, and our church family.
- We are learning how to communicate with each other in English. This is fun and challenging.
- She does NOT like our dog! This has been a challenge.
- When Lottie waves her hand at you, she is not saying, “HI!” What she is really saying is, “I’ve had enough, and I’m ready for you to leave.” She’s not being rude. She’s just ready to CHILL! A lot of people overwhelm her greatly.
- Adoption is the hardest thing Sally and I have done. The Good News is that Adoption is the Gospel! God has shown us His great love for us through this process in a child who sometimes doesn’t want love, or affection, or even hugs. Even when we continue to reject God, He continues to love us in spite of our rejection. We are thankful to God that He is allowing us to live out the Gospel through our adoption.
- Here is a great way you can help us out…PRAY! Pray for our family to be brought closer through the Gospel and not separated by the pressures of adoption.
CLASS OF 2017…Congratulations! You did it. You made it through all the homework, tests, projects, papers, and stress. Most likely you have positioned yourself to move on to bigger and better things. Continue reading
I love summer time! There is so much Gospel-Impact and Fun happening! I hope everyone will join in the summer fun! Here are a few of the events that are happening this Summer at Shady Oaks Baptist Church. Continue reading
I haven’t blogged in several weeks. The reasons I haven’t blogged in several weeks is because I have been spending my time in prayer and God’s Word for the future for our church. If you’re a pastor, you know that a vision for the future is always knocking at your door. It’s always right in front of you, crying out to you, HERE I AM…COME AND FIND ME…And when you do…SHARE ME WITH OTHERS! Yep! That’s Vision! Continue reading
These are exciting times in the life of Shady Oaks Baptist Church! Continue reading
Can you believe it? This weekend is Time Change Sunday… the one no one likes! This Saturday before you go to bed, move your clocks forward 1 hour so you can be ON TIME to church for Sunday, March 12. Please remind your friends, Life Groups, worship team, and leadership teams to turn their clocks forward 1 hour on Saturday night. Continue reading